The Collider innovation program closed its third edition this Friday with five new startups in the 4.0 industry and health sectors. Thus, the Mobile World Capital Barcelona initiative ratifies the success of its technology transfer model. Cooling, Deep Detection, Exheus, Geokinesia and GoFasd emerge after six months of work by the 28 entrepreneurs chosen from more than 1,000 participants.
In its three years of life, MWCapital's innovative support brand has already helped create 14 startups with their more than 40 jobs. It has also trained almost 80 scientists, one of its objectives being to generate wealth and contribute to the sustainability of research centres. The Collider has selected this year from more than 163 candidate projects from 27 research centres and entrepreneurs around the world.
The 15 groups chosen, which have formed the five innovative and growth-capable startups, have also passed through Investors Day. This is a day in which they have had the opportunity to make contact with investors in the pre-seed/early and growth phases and VCs, as well as corporate partners and advisors to the program. We tell you about the new startups created in The Collider 2019-2020:
The company has developed a cooling technology with no energy consumption and zero emissions. The technology is patented and is based on the natural process of radiative cooling by which all bodies regulate their temperature. Its main applications are thermal regulation and efficiency. It is a sustainable technology that is aligned with the UN ODS and has a positive impact on global warming.
For example, Cooling's patented technology allows the electronic temperature to be reduced by up to 20ºC, reducing the cost of the components, improving performance, saving energy and extending their useful life.
- Team: Formed by researcher Marie Sklodowska-Curie, from the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, and a serial entrepreneur who in the last company he founded obtained more than 2 million euros of public funds.
- Applications: Thermal regulation of machines and buildings. Efficiency in electronics, machinery and energy production (photovoltaic and thermoelectric).
They have designed a spectral x-ray camera for online scanning. It improves on previous detection technologies by using deep-photonics, microelectronics and algorithms. Its detector improves the current ones because it provides a sharper image at high speeds and reaches the so-called spectral definition. It allows to detect whatever is required in the production process.
- Team: The project has emerged from the Institute of High Energy Physics (UAB) and the business part is provided by an entrepreneur with experience in creating different startups.
- Applications: Industry 4.0 (manufacturing and inspection lines); food, beverages and consumer goods (such as packaging and raw materials); pharmaceuticals, manufacture of modern materials (composite, foundation, electronics, etc.) for the automotive and aviation industries; and security. As examples, in the food and agriculture sector it can detect the composition of meat, the maturity of fruit, the quality of seeds, etc.
Through applied artificial intelligence technology it collects all the information behind the 22,000 genes in the human body to analyze how they are being expressed at the time the analysis is performed. Therefore, the information will be variable depending on the moment the sample is analyzed, and this is where the difference lies with other types of DNA studies. All this data can be analyzed and actions taken to correct those deviations that are affecting the body itself.
- Team: The technology has been developed by a research team at the Hospital de Sant Pau. The Collider has connected them with a CEO with experience in the development of pharmaceutical and biotechnology projects.
- Applications: Analysis of pathologies, injuries and/or discomfort in the body, control and monitoring of training, improvement of sports performance and analysis of diets and nutritional guidelines.
They have developed a spatial remote sensing technology, which detects ground deformation with millimetric precision. In construction and civil engineering, engineers may have trouble determining location coordinates when they are near tall buildings or indoors because of electromagnetic fields. This technology, the IPOLE system, solves these problems, moreover, at a low cost.
- Team: The technology has emerged from the University of Barcelona and its CEO has experience in different telecommunications and technology companies, in Venture Capital and startups.
- Applications: Mining, oil, gas and civil engineering (Industry 4.0).
In the health field, GoFasd has created innovative software solutions for the diagnosis and treatment of neurocognitive diseases in children such as FASD (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) that create serious neurocognitive problems in babies and during all stages of growth. In addition to a diagnostic tool, the company has created a virtual reality treatment and neurocognitive stimulation suite specifically for health professionals (pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc.), families and education professionals.
- Team: The Hospital Clínic - IDIBAPS provides the medical part and two engineers complete the team with their knowledge in telecommunications and industrial computing.
- Applications: Health, for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.